Total Pageviews

Friday 16 December 2011

Naked Blogging and I Magazine

So I'm sitting here on the bed, cross-legged, naked, smoking a delicious Indonesian cigarette. The fan is blowing on me and the sun has just set. I've just had dinner at a charming little place called 66 on Double Six Road. The receipt says it's in Kuta, but I was told I'm living in Seminyak. I don't know who to believe, so I'm going to tell you it's in Seminyak, because I can. I had the cobb sandwich and a small Bintang for dinner. The sandwich was amazing. Chicken, avocado, bacon, blue cheese, lettuce and tomato on a fresh baguette.

I spent the day on the beach suntanning my white girl body and playing in the waves. Like a true hungover person, I conveniently lost my sunglasses and my hair elastic. My skin was starting to blister, so I only gave myself 3 hours in the sun today. Gotta say, I'm looking pretty damn brown and sexy already. Did I mention I'm naked right now? If my sexy Fijian boyfriend was here, I would so be getting harassed at least 6 times a day, wouldn't I babe?

I made friends with one of the chair rental guys today at the beach. A full-fledged Indonesian surf bum who informed me that I should never date an Indonesian, as they have small penis's. He told me this with a gesture to his pinky finger. Point taken, new friend. His name is Tio, and for 3 years he has been renting out lounge chairs and surf boards on the beach. Tio also spelled out words in the sand, when I could not understand him. So resourceful!

You think I am living the life here? Tio is living the life. He said he is not rich, but he is happy. He says whenever he doesn't have enough money, he goes surfing, and feels instantly happy. This comes as a no-brainer to all surfers, I am sure. I plan to do a whole review on this guy soon, picture and all. I'm also hoping to work out some sort of sneaky trading system with him. Buy him food a few times a week, perhaps? I see a surf board and a lounge chair with my name on it. For life.

While waiting for my food at 66, I picked up a copy of I Magazine that was sitting amongst a pile of Jakarta newspapers. The cover caught my eye, a smokin' tatted-up chick, printed in black and white.

I read the magazine cover to cover and wrote down all the necessary contact details. I plan to send this blog post to the Editor and the Publisher, who I am sure will share it with the staff. Dear Contributors of I Magazine: This is the coolest, sharpest, sexiest magazine I have ever seen. Mad props, guys. You've got a fan. And hey, I'm living in Bali, wanna give me a job? Just thought I would throw that out there while I have your attention.

It's a blend of fashion, music, pop culture and food reviews. The models are hot. The clothes are different and the magazine as a whole, is the epitomy of cool. The fashion editorial in this issue is a model on a boat. I know what you're thinking. Sailboats, pin stripes, one piece bathing suits, Grey Goose martinis, and dark-haired men in sweaters. Nope. This editorial is raw, dark and dirty. I love it.

The food reviews are mouth-watering, but could really use me to proof-read before the magazine goes to print. Sorry Suzi, I'm sure you are a total sweetheart.

As for the print quality, if I Magazine wants to step it up a notch, I suggest investing a little more money on your finished product. You've got such a brilliant magazine, why not spend the necessary money to print on full gloss, high quality paper? Just a thought.

All in all, I Magazine pretty much blows any magazine I have ever seen out of the water. God, Bali is cool. I've only been here two weeks, and obviously over time, my name and voice will be recognized on the island. As for now, I am naive and totally green to this mysterious little island in the South Pacific. I have a LOT to learn about the history, the people, and pop culture on the island.

Bali Chick Advice for The Day: When inspiration hits, use it. It doesn't come very often, so when it does, create.

3 comments:

  1. Sending you so much love Sister! Love you and love your blog :)
    I'm so happy and proud of you for breaking the monotonous cycle and getting back to whats important...LIFE!!!

    Blessings to you, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. Glad you are having fun. I am about to venture to an exotic country too...wish I was coming to see you, the stories sound amazing.

    -Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love being reminded Kate of those impulsive moments that offer us 'discovery.' I forget that we can have access to such magic every single day! And, it's as simple as finding one magazine amidst a random pile that catches your eye; sending release of everything that's possible in that moment! Thanks, Josette

    ReplyDelete