Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Green Village Bali - My Dream Home

I had the pleasure today of accompanying my new friend who is an architect to "The Green Village" in Bali. She has spent her 20's in London, designing high-end flats. Now currently living in Australia, she - who will go unnamed - has come to Bali to see how they build with bamboo.

I found my dream home today and also had the pleasure of sitting down with Elora Hardy, the CEO and lead designer for Green Village. Elora is daughter of the famous jeweler and business man John Hardy, who recently built the widely publicized and successful international "Green School" 25 minutes from Ubud, Bali. Elora was born in Bali and educated in the U.S. and got some major experience and exposure working as a sole print designer for fashion icon, Donna Karan, in New York City. Elora is beautiful, high-energy, humble and absolutely sweet. I look forward to hanging out with her again, seeing as I have now found a home in Ubud. It's no Green Village, but it's perfect for the time being.


Upon arriving at Green Village, my architect friend and I were offered fresh hand towels and a glass of cold coconut water. Heaven. We got to tour two of the homes, one which was a show home and is still for sale $400,000 US. 

Everything from the floors and the counters to the beams and the walls are made of various sizes of bamboo. Elora told me 5 different species are used, which are grown on Bali and also imported from Java. A small amount of concrete is used during construction to pour into the base of the large bamboo beams, so that they have a solid foundation in the rock that is used. The bamboo is treated before building to protect it from sun, rain and insects. Walking around this beautiful home today was surreal. The detail and attention to craftsmanship is truly world class.

I kept day-dreaming about waking in the master bedroom, having a shower in the open air, and enjoying a coffee or perhaps doing yoga. Absolute peace. With the palm trees swaying in the background, and the fresh coconut juice......  sigh. I have my work cut out for me!

Check out the pictures and please click on the website below for more information.

<3 Bali Chick










Green Village Website: www.greenvillagebali.com/

Green School Website: www.greenschool.org

Interview with Elora Hardy for The Yak Magazine ( Bali ) :

www.greenvillagebali.com/2011/12/green-village-on-the-yak-magazine/

4 comments:

  1. Great article Kate and a great project from Elora. Looking forward to checking it out soon.
    http://www.balifornian.com
    Thank you,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael!

    Thanks so much. It is truly a work of art!! Let's chat this week :) XX Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it looks amazing I say hell yes to that.

    ReplyDelete