Total Pageviews

Saturday 21 January 2012

Thoughts for Mike Grefner

This post isn't about Bali, but on a man who has gone missing in Whistler, BC, Canada. Mike Grefner has been missing now for almost 72 hours and with over 1200 people on his Facebook Page, many efforts both online and on the streets are being carried out now across Canada. Thanks to everyone who is sharing, searching, postering.

I don't know you that well, but over the years and in our encounters through the club scene, I have seen in your eyes and know in your soul, you are one of a kind and see the things most people miss. You are a deeply spiritual man, yet in the eye of the public. How one balances both is a delicate task. I know because I do it myself. Mike, we've been chatting in the past 8 weeks. You told me how you wanted to get out of Whistler and maybe come to Bali.

In your message on December 11th... you wrote to me: "I hope you are still there in 6 months plus, because that's about how long it may take me to gather funds and proper papers... I think we could mesh on a meta-level and up our games massively, not relying on one another, but inspiring one another... a thought that is growing... could be the booze."

The question on everyones mind.... Are you OK? When I read that you were wasted and drunk-dialing at 5am after your gig, a wave of sadness came over me. I've met you in previous times, where you were on a sobriety high, free from alcohol and seeing so clearly. God knows that I have been that drunk chick, sitting on a street somewhere, drunk dialing my loved ones in the early morning hours, thinking to myself I am seeing clearly and ok. I was not. I was deeply unhappy. I have suffered depression, quit drinking for a year, only to start again..... I am back to not drinking. Have you been depressed? Have you been unhappy?

I wish everyone... your friends, your family, now strangers could just find you. I know every effort possible is being made. I had a friend go missing two months ago....... I was part of that search, so I feel those who are out on the streets, putting up the posters and tracking his last moves. Trying to find new tips... new information.... a missed call... a bank withdrawal.... anything that can lead to your safe return.

Halfway around the globe and a day ahead of you guys back in Canada..... but with my ginger tea and clove cigarette.... I sit and listen to the wind rustle the leaves of the bamboo and I am praying.

Maybe you ran away. Maybe it became too much and you didn't know how to say goodbye or how to let go. Everyone wants to run away sometimes, so if that is the case, no one is going to be mad.

Time will tell. I so hope you can make it here to Bali one day. You're a spiritual anomoly, brother. Believing in you wherever you are and sending you strength from here ❤

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,

    I ran into you and found your blog via the unAsleep group. I only know Mike from a few interactions with him in that group. But I had EXACTLY the same thought as you about the possibility he had to escape from one life in order to walk the spiritual path he truly desired. I hope that's what's happened, but I do also hope he's let someone know, so that many of those searching and worrying about him can have some peace.

    Be well,
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete