Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 January 2012

Nadi's Herbal in Ubud - Ayurvedic and Organic Products

I had plans on sleeping in this morning, but was awoken by the roosters just after 830am. I headed out for a walk before it got too hot. On the main street, I passed "Nadi's Herbal", and was greeted by a happy looking middle-aged Indonesian man. I said I would come back later. 30 seconds later, I turned around.... and went to check out the store as I was interested in finding out about the "herbal walks" they offered.

The man, who introduced himself as Weca, offered me a cup of tea. He said anyone who comes through the door is family, so they are treated that way. The delicious tea was made of lemongrass, ginger, cinnamon, cardamon, star anise, cat whiskers leaf and a special herb called gotu cola.

Gotu Cola has been called "the fountain of life" because legend has it that an ancient Chinese herbalist lived for more than 200 years as a result of taking gotu kola. Gotu kola is a perennial plant native to India, Japan, China, Indonesia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, and the South Pacific. A member of the parsley family, it has no taste or smell.

I perused the selection of items in the store. All organic and derived from local plants and herbs. The body lotions are made from natural ayurvedic herbs, fresh coconut oil, cocoa butter, aloe vera, seaweed and beeswax.

As I continued to check out all the products in the little store, Weca gently took my hand and started to massage between my thumb and index finger. Steady pressure, almost acupressure. It hurt! He gestured for me to sit down and for the next 40 minutes or so, applied pressure to my hand, elbow and then the back of my neck. He stimulated some sort of organ, because I started to sweat out all the wine I had drank the night before. Afterwards, I was very relaxed and felt totally balanced.

I purchased a small container of "Bali Moon", which is body lotion made with tulsyi, amla, bibhitaki, haritaki, spring water, cocoa butter, aloe vera, seaweed and rose fragrance. I also bought 2 face products, one being a "wild white tumeric" facial scrub, and the other being a "wild yam" clay mask.

Today planted a seed within me, so to speak. I have a new passion for ayurvedic herbs and medicines. I am going to go on the herb walk and learn about the local medicinal plants and herbs and how to prepare them. Now, a shower and then Bali Moon cream all over my body before bed. Namaste.

Check out Nadi's Herbal website here: www.baliherbalwalk.com






Their range includes; a massage oil made according to traditional Balinese methods, a natural insect repellent, candles made from coconut wax and tree resins, bath and massage salts based on sea salt with plant extracts, body scrubs made with local healing tus and many more products for home and spa.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I am not quite much with the internet, but I believe that what I just read is some good material. Thanks for writing such wonderful article. God bless. most potent spice incense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I don't have words to describe this post. I simply want to say that absolutely informative post. It inspires me a lot. Keep posting.

    diablo incense

    ReplyDelete