Total Pageviews

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Roosters, Thunder, and Galungan

A quick post before bed. I had a highly productive day in Denpasar. My friend / driver / translator Wayan and I hit the road just after 9am. It was a brilliant sunny day. My new puppy, Shanti, slept the whole time in the back seat.

I tied up loose ends, took care of business, etc. Also got a new phone - blackberry, so you can expect lots more mobile uploads from me ;)

Arrived back in Ubud just after 3pm. The streets look absolutely beautiful. The Balinese have been preparing giant pieces of bamboo and decorating them, to put out front of their houses. These "penjors" are for Galungan, which begins tomorrow.

Galungan is a Balinese holiday that is celebrated every 210 days, and always falls on a Wednesday. It literally means "When the Dharma is winning." During this holiday, the Balinese gods visit the Earth and leave on Kuningan, the 10th and last day of the holiday. 

The day will be spent with family and at the temples, giving offerings. The day after Galungan is a time for a holiday, visiting friends, maybe taking the opportunity to head for the mountains for a picnic. Everyone is still seen to be in their 'Sunday best' as they take to the streets to enjoy the festive spirit that Galungan brings to Bali.


I took a quick nap before meeting my parents for dinner. All I could hear was the neighbors roosters crowing and thunder. I am beginning to really love these sounds. The sounds of living somewhere remote and the sounds of the tropics. I can see palm trees from my bedroom window and I still can't really believe it. 









No comments:

Post a Comment