Total Pageviews

Wednesday 9 May 2012

DJing. Travel. Opportunities.



Being a self-proclaimed, reformed tomboy, I spent most days in my teens chilling with the guys. One day, these boys went to a rave and discovered house music and they thought it would be cool to be DJ's. They bought turntables and taught themselves how to DJ. When I asked them "How do you do it?". Their reply? "You can't do it. You're a girl."

So I did. I borrowed money from my parents to get turntables ( after I submitted a very serious business plan ), taught myself to match beats in my bedroom, played some truly awkward and terrible performances before getting comfortable and truly enjoying it. Since then, I have played hundreds upon hundreds of gigs in Canada and many throughout the US, Switzerland, Australia and Bali..... and here I am, 10 years later, still booking sweet gigs in Asia.

These boys who taught me, are still doing their thing. My good friend Jeff Daniels is actually a very-well known producer in Vancouver. Blowing up, he is. Nothing but proud of you, babe! Love you, Jeff and thanks for taking me to that rave. E3 baby. ;) Yew!

I never pushed my DJ career too hard because I didn't want to be a big-time DJ. I've had some incredible offers come my way, but you don't always have to say YES to everything that is put in front of you. It fact sometimes it's better to kindly say "No thanks."...... and be patient. Something better will always come after. That goes for everything in life. Relationships. Jobs. Apartments. Lesson? Exercise patience.

More about me: I'm a hippie at heart and most days prefer to be far, far away from buildings, traffic, cars and people. I'm content with very little ( sand, ocean, palm trees ), but love the finer things in life ( champagne, expensive hotels, things that sparkle and start with the letter D ) I know! How confusing is that? Pity the man that marries me. ( Lucky bastard )

I've honestly grown out of the whole "club thing".  I prefer intimate, classy, beautiful parties at unique locations with interesting people. Beach parties at sunset are my absolute favorite <3   Nothing beats playing music you LOVE for people dancing and smiling in bare feet as the sun sets over the ocean. It's magic. ( Shout out to the famed Wreck Beach parties in Vancouver! ) Next time I play music, I will think of my late friends, Randy Ponzio and Mike Grefner, who were legends in the music scene in Vancouver.

So I mentioned recently on Facebook, I have a very cool opportunity coming up soon. It won't be until July and it is NOT in Bali. I can't tell you that much more right now, other than it is DOPE! I have a NEW BLOG set-up, which I will take over while I am there. I'm also going to really start working my Youtube channel. Plant seeds in the internet. They grow! Plant seeds in your life...... and water them daily.

On that note. Stay tuned. Pictures, videos, thoughts, words, and MUSIC to come. 

Enjoy your life. Play good music and play it loud. Share music - it's for sharing. Be good to each other. Eat your vegetables.......... and don't forget....... to SLAPPA DA BASS :)


1 comment:

  1. Love you so much lady!! Can't wait to see your face again.

    ReplyDelete