Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 February 2013

John Butler Trio - Save The Kimberley Concert in Fremantle


YOUTUBE ( You must watch this :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_jQ1Uqf-oU


Sunday. The day of God and relaxation. Nope. My roommate informed me of a free concert that was taking place in the afternoon in Fremantle. John Butler Trio. I had heard some of his stuff, and he is an Australian treasure, so I knew I had to go. Really. Who says no to a free concert? The day was brilliant, as it usually is in Perth. Flawless. Blue skies and hot sun.

My wonderful housemates and I arrived just after 4pm in Fremantle, the renowned "funky artsy" neighborhood of Perth. Full-on hippie fest. Just my kind of party. It reminded me of dancing in diapers when I was a toddler at Vancouver's Folk Music Festival. Shiny happy people of all ages. All there to experience the brilliant day, the free music, and to save..... The Kimberley.

What is The Kimberley? The Kimberley is a region in northern Australia that is being threatened by gas mining. It is an extremely special and precious natural area of Australia. Upon doing a little research, I found that there is an 80km dinosaur track across the Kimberley from millions of years ago. Amazing. We must protect this. Please like the Facebook page and share it if you can!

>> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-The-Kimberley/146254135411987?fref=ts

John Butler is an Australian American musician, songwriter, record label owner ( Jarrah Records ) and a producer. Apparently he was busking the streets of Fremantle just a little over ten years ago. He's hit the big-time now. Stay true to your craft, people. Stick with it!

I really don't think I have ever seen anyone play guitar quite like he does. "He plays harmonica, didgeridoo, drums, lap-steel, banjo and amplified acoustic guitars and removes the higher octave G string on his 12-string guitar." And that voice. And that face. That energy! Yup. He's a jewel of a musician. If you haven't heard him, you must take a moment and listen.


The concert was truly unforgettable. Unfortunately I arrived late, so could not catch Missy Higgins, but John Butler made up for it a million-fold. Sunday was seriously the best day since I have arrived in Perth.

Big thanks to the lovely Media girl at Sunset Events, who let me backstage and into the photographer pit to snap these photos. I took all the photos in this post, except for the last one. Dancing feet away from John Butler with 20,000 other people behind. Wow. A day I will never forget. Pure magic!! John Butler, you have another loving fan for LIFE. Can't wait to see you in concert again!











Photo by: Janelle Morse 

John Butler Website: www.johnbutlertrio.com

John Butler Facebook Page:   http://www.facebook.com/JohnButlerTrio?fref=ts

2 comments: