Total Pageviews

Friday 13 January 2012

Morning in Ubud and Warung River View

I woke this morning at 730am and decided to go for a walk. The streets were wet from the rain the night before and smelled clean and fresh. On the street, dogs and roosters wandered freely. Indonesians sweept the front of their houses. They really, really love to sweep here I have found. They do it with a long bristle brush and it makes a satisfying scratching sound against the pavement.

Stopping at a cafe, I picked up a Bali Kofe ( to go!! ) and walked towards the markets. Beautiful old happy wrinkled faces smiled at me as I walked past and they set up their goods for sale. The real local market in Ubud starts at 6am, so I later realized they were packing up, not setting up for the day. Tomorrow, my parents and I will go back at 6am and check out the true local market.

Later on, my parents and I stopped at Warung River View for lunch. "Warung" means restaurant in Indonesian. The resturant sits high on a cliff overlooking one of Ubud's rivers below. The tables are in little individual huts, all with an amazing view of the landscape. I had the classic Indo dish, Beef Rendang, which has been explained by CNN as one of the "World's 50 most delicious foods". My first introduction to it was nothing short of incredible. Rich, flavorful broth with beef, beans, carrots and potatoes served on a bed of rice. I also enjoyed a fresh watermelon juice. Those 2 items: 30,000 Rupiah - around $3 CAD. I will definitely go back.

Warung river View
Jalan Raya - Ubud, Bali
Phone: (0361) 975574

No comments:

Post a Comment