Total Pageviews

Friday 24 February 2012

Antiques - Made to Order

Hello friends,

Today marks my 11th week on the magical island of Bali. I'm loving living in Ubud. The days are hot. The evenings are quiet. I woke at 6am this morning, before the sun rose, and had coffee on my terrace. Yes, it's heavenly and yes, I am so happy I am not living in a cold climate right now!

I've been working hard at the gym and feeling awesome. I'm working on my body. So what. What about the Balinese culture? Isn't this blog about Bali??

Riding my scooter this morning, under the hot sun........ I passed the rice fields, magnificent villas, ladies with baskets of market goods balanced high on their heads.... dogs in the streets..... temples and temple offerings. They even do a temple offering at the gym!! Yes, back on the gym subject for a moment..... it was quite lovely! And weird! Incense in the gym.

Riding the main road back to my house, I passed store after store of bright twinkling shining beautiful things. Yes, I am a crow and a woman. I love things that sparkle! Colorful mosaic mirrors and bowls.... hundreds and hundreds of them, in every style and color, reflecting light back into the world. Twinkling under the sun. Carvings....... of everything. Beautiful wood shelves and cabinets...... and the best sign: "Antique - Made to Order."

I would love to buy so many of these beautiful things...... wholesale..... export and start a shop somewhere. One day, I will. Apparently you need money to start a business? Oh what. You have money? And you want me to buy and export Balinese goods for you? Let's talk.

I've really got to hit the town with my camera this weekend. And show you what I am seeing. It's truly beautiful. And the people of Bali are so truly beautiful. I'm going to go on a photo-snapping rampage this weekend. Just you wait.

So I'm doing the work thing. And I'm doing the gym thing. I've even made a new friend!!!!!! Which is big news, because it's hard to make new friends when you're the new girl. I talked to her at the gym. She is a teacher at the local school, originally from New York. "She" will go unnamed. This blog is public, afterall. A high-energy and very funny woman. So looking forward to chilling with her! She's invited me out tonight with another teacher friend of hers. Stoked.

So a part from work, the gym and my new friend ..... I'm doing some "work" with myself. I'm doing the "real work". By that I mean..... the mind and soul work. I'm keeping a journal, for me and my thoughts. This blog, is for the world. Journal, for me. A girl has to have SOME secrets!!

I'm going to buy a new book. And read it. All of it. Sure I read the news and blogs and wikipedia and twitter ( ha ) ........ but I need to find myself a nice book, that captures me, and takes me and seduces me until it is all I can think about. I need to have it. I need to read it at every moment I can. I want to finish it in a matter of days........It's been a while since a book did that for me. I will let you know what I find..... and if it keeps my interest.

So many books and words and thoughts and ideas to absorb...... my Dad tells me classic movies I should see...... musicals and musicians and authors and artists I should know. I so often get distracted, because he just looks so cute when he tells me about these things..... he breaks into song and I forget the name.... but god, it's magic when he does that. My parents come back to Bali on Monday. Yay! They have been bumming around Thailand for the last month. God, they're cool. They come back to Ubud for the week, then we are heading south for a weekend on the beach. I will make sure to get my Dad to write a Master List of all the things I should see, read and listen to in my lifetime.

Ok so I've covered reading and writing...... what about my SOUL, man? Well....... meditation. I'm giving it a go...... and kind of getting it. I sat in a rice field yesterday...... cross-legged under a palm, the sun beating down on me. The sound of the breeze. It's so easy to forget how important it is to get connected to nature. I mean, really connected. Find somewhere quiet, away from anyone or anything....... and just be. When I was 19 and traveled through Australia..... I would do it everyday..... in a field or the forest or on the beach. It is such an imperative HUGE part of spiritual growth. Listening to the breeze..... letting go of your thoughts..... being in the "green"..... really energizes you and brings you focus. Or so I find.

Yoga. I haven't gone yet. But I am going to today! I am going to go check out the free community yoga class at The Yoga Barn. I checked out the Yoga Barn yesterday...... it's super zen and super lovely. Really, really looking forward to it.

I've been warned to bring bug spray to the community class. I guess those bugs know when it is feeding time and you are at your most physically vulnerable point. Well, bring it on, mosquitos. I'm going to have a nice layer of lotion on me, so do what you can.

Wow this is a long post!! Go, Kate!

Anyways. Enjoy the day ( night ) people. Do yourself some good this weekend and go connect with nature!! Hiking doesn't count. Go be with yourself alone in nature. It's truly one of the simple pleasures in life.

And to my beastie ( bestie ) Candice...... I believe in you. It will get better. It's a breakTHROUGH.... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment